Friday, September 26, 2008

Discontentment

I've been following on Pastor Les' series "Lo$t" for 2 Sundays now. He actually started 4 Sundays ago but since I wasn't able to go to the first two, I have to contend myself with his recap every start of his message.

This Sunday, he talked about discontentment. He said that one of the reasons why we find ourselves financially lost because society wants to make us feel that we don't have enough, thus creating a need to want more.

I've been wanting to get a new cellphone for sometime. I have tried reasoning that it was someting I could actually afford. I have convinced myself that it's something that I need to reward myself with, considering that I worked hard enough to earn me two promotions in 7 months.

But you see, this is something that I don't need. My cellphone is still fully functional, and it's not even outdated. Pastor Les made an excellent analogy between these material cravings and hunger. We eat when we're hungry and we get satisfied, but 4 hour tops, and we get hungry again.

When I got my cellphone, I told myself that I don't think I would ever want another cellphone, and look where I am now? Hungry again for another one.

Bottom line is, we need to be careful for some discontentments we have that may gear us towards being financially lost. It may not be the same for everybody. For some, it may be something else. The key is to make a careful evaluation of what is a need and what is a want, and to have enough discipline to live within our means.

0 comments:

youtube