Friday, February 8, 2008

Commitment

The other day, while having lunch with a colleague, I casaully mentioned that I had a dinner date with my husband in Sinugba Bay the previous night. Curiously, she asked me "do you still have that spark?" I blinked my eyes for a moment, contemplating for an answer.

She told me that she cannot imagine that someone who has been married for as long as we have been would still have the spark. She narrated that she comes from a family where her parents are always fighting, with matching shoutings and flying objects around the house. Somehow, I figured that she lost her faith in marriage.

Well, my husband and I have been married for 3 years. And yes, we still do have that spark. I still look at him, and wonder "How did I get so lucky?". I buy stuff for myself and still gets the thrills whenever I imagine the look on his face if I put it on. I pass through a store and remember that he likes something, and would eagerly buy it for him, anticipating the delight on his face when he gets my surprise gift. From time to time, he pops up little surprises for me as well, and I fall in love with him all over again. And yes, we still celebrate monthsaries.

I cannot guarantee that we will always be like this. There is no certainty that the "spark" we feel right now will always be there. There might come a time that one of us will "stray". But one thing I can guarantee, we both have the commitment - the commitment to work for our marriage, the commitment to make it last, the commitment to keep our family as it is - a happy one.

0 comments:

youtube