Thursday, March 27, 2008

Missing Work

I've been absent for two days from work. Initially, because my daughter was sick. She had fever, cough and colds and that I couldn't just leave the tending to the nanny. On the afternoon of that day, I also got asthma attack. Maybe it was due to stress and fatigue from taking care of my baby girl, as she wants to be carried the whole time, and she is already very heavy.

I went to the doctor yesterday as per my hubby's insistence. The doctor advised that I should be on bedrest so I can totally recover. She gave me antibiotics and medical certificate to justify my absences. I told her I couldn't miss work for another day as I already have a lot of things to do piled up in the office. She inssisted that I take another day to rest, but her insistence, as well as my hubby's pleas fell on deaf ears, because here I am today.

I am feeling surprisingly better now that I'm already in the office. The past two days, I felt so tired, a simple chore as chewing my food would wear me out. Now that I'm here, I still feel running out of breath from time to time, but I feel more energized, which scares me as I may already showing signs of workaholicism. The whole time that I was home, I kept thinking about my evaluations and the agents, and all the other important updates that I may have missed.

I pray to God that I will not reach a point that I will feel more alive in the office than in my home. I pray to God that I will still be able to prioritize my health over my work. The doctor was right when she said "Health is more important than your work"...I always knew she was right, but I still can't help thinking of the many evaluations that I need to do and to catch up on if I miss another day at work. And so here I am....feeling a little better....but a little scared of how things are turning out for me....

2 comments:

Danny Vice said...

I'm glad to see you're feeling better. And you're right. spending 80% of your energy in work, allowing less of it for family is a hard balance to understand. As a mom, it I'm sure your instincts batter even harder against it...

But just remember, sometimes the smallest moments of joy with your kids have a way of filling up your resources, and renewing your strength - if you remember how blessed you are to have them.

Take an afternoon and go kite flying with them - or even little things like walks in the evening, away from computers or tv. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel if you take even a short time away from life to reconnect with them.

Never forget your blessings... and you'll always be blessed.

Have a wonderful new week, my friend.

Danny

MiEr said...

hi danny! thanks so much for your thoughts...you're right...spending time with kids really do lift up the spirit...have a nice day!

youtube